Friday, May 29, 2015

About my marathon training

Last week I ran my first 20 miles…ever.
I remember being nervous for it, and really hoping to be able to run the whole thing.  I can't figure out why running the whole thing is so important.  I have deduced it to two reasons.
1. I must think I am some sort of bad mama jama to be able to say I did it, which earns me nothing.  No special prize, no money, and certainly not the right to say I am the only one.
2. I can get it done faster, and it's easier than stopping and starting up again.

Neither of course are true, but number 2 you can train in a way that walk/run/walking will not only work, but will be the same speed and less stress on the joints.  Number 1, well that's just the craziness.

This week on the schedule was 12 miles today and I was up against a 4 am wake up, and a 8 - 9 am client, which meant I wasn't able to start my run until after 9:30, the temp was supposed to get up there too.  Considering that it takes 2 hours to run this thaaaang, I knew I would be running into some heat.

Things I have discovered.
When I first began training for races (mostly half marathons) I would be so careful to eat my gels every hour on the hour.  I would eat 3 of them each time.  I carried water with me and was sure to sip at least every mile.
Since training for anywhere from 1-2 hours on a midweek run, I have come to really dislike the eating during the run portion.  And don't even try to sell me on the GU (liquid snot)
I try to cut my water consumption off at least 1.5 hours before I am going to run, but before that time I try to get well hydrated with 16-32 ounces of water, then take that 1.5 hours to pee it out.  As for eating, I usually shove something in my mouth right before I start just to get rid of the hunger pang.
When I go for my run I fill up my water bag and try to sip every 1 to 1.5 miles.  Toward the end I get very thirsty, especially if it is hot, or if it's a run over 10 miles.  I drink so much and sweat so much out that I need to take electrolyte capsules, about 1 every hour, then one when I get home because I know I will be guzzling the water.

My route:
It doesn't vary much.  The place where I run most has lots of small and some big rolling hills.  I try like heck to avoid the big ones so I am never more than 2.5 to 3 miles away from home.  I do not, necessarily, run in circles either.  I have several out and backs in my course.  That's fancy runner talk for; running from point A to point B, then back to point A.  Sounds like fun doesn't it?

What to eat after a run?
I usually feel like I worked so hard that I shouldn't go off the deep end with my food after a long run.  Like today, I ate lots of red lettuce with about 1 tbsp of OPA ranch (only because that was all there was!), 1 Field roast Chipoltle dog cut up, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, 2 TBSP hemp hearts (theres that protein everyone's worried about) and raisins.  I know I added a lot of calories to my meal, but I also added ALOT of nutrients.  I am not gonna lie…after my 20 miler last week, it was straight pizza night.

So, tonight I have a well deserved rest coming to me, and possibly some chocolate :)
Thank you for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment