Sunday, May 20, 2012


Wow, have I got a busy schedule ahead of me!  I had to change the Hal Higdon 1/2 marathon training schedule a little bit, so that it was inline with my July 4th run.  I am no longer trying to shimmy the weeks to fit where I am physically.  I just went from race date, and counted backward.  

  Before I started training, I was running about 2 to 3 times a week, one of those times being a long run, and never running anything under 4 miles.  With this schedule just since 3 days ago, I ran 2miles, then 4 miles, then today I was supposed to run 2 miles, or cross train, but I didn't clock my run before I did, it, and it ended up being 2.9 miles!  It always feels good to accomplish more than I set out to do, and I don't think I set myself up for failure tomorrow (4 miles).

  If I have come to the realization of anything, it is that some days I will have great runs, and some days I will have really difficult runs.  I am noticing that there are way more great runs than bad ones, and this is part of the reason I continue on.  

  My husband wants to run with me, but 23 years on CG boats messed his knees up pretty bad, and running would compound the pain and the problem.  So today he got his bike out and joined me.  When he said he would go with me, I was excited at first, but then got nervous about breaking my concentration, or him not being ready to go when I wanted.  Basically all the things I worry about when someone wants to get together with me to workout.  I am a work out alone type of person, and I guess this includes running.  But none of that bothered me!  I was so pleased that my husband came with me!  It was so much more enjoyable having him there.  I guess it's because I could be myself with him, and I didn't feel as though I had to entertain him.  It was a nice day and we got to do something healthy for ourselves together :)   

  My time is improving.  Something I never thought I would care about, but when it happens, it is amazing!  When I ran the two miles on Thursday, I surprised myself with how fast I got it done!  Even though it wasn't some terrific feat, it was an improvement and I am pleased. 

  One of the things that is hard about this training is Sunday runs.  I really don't like to have any obligations on Sundays.  I enjoy going to church with my family, and just relaxing as much as is possible. After this big race, I will definitely weed Sunday runs out...unless it's a gorgeous day and I can't help myself :)  That's another thing.  Once I am not training...how long and far do I run each week?????  I can't leave it up to my decision!  I guess I have a month and a half to figure that out.

  Hey, I am thinking about posting pictures of my physical transformation gained from running.  Do you think I should?

No comments:

Post a Comment