Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Can I get a refund?

These were the exact words that popped into my head when I pressed the cool down button on the treadmill.  I wanted so bad to get 8 miles logged in today, but it was hard to think through all the sweat, uncontrolled heavy breathing, and internal body temperature yelling at me to STOP!!  Oh believe me I was drinking water and praying for help...but just because I want it, doesn't mean it's meant to be.

  Refund for what?, you might ask.  Well, I'm the kind of person who walks into Taco bell, and orders a crunch wrap supreme, two baja gorditas, and a Dorito taco, when I will only end up eating the crunch wrap supreme, and maybe the taco.  Which hopefully paints the picture of why someone who has (at that time) only ever ran 6 miles in her whole entire life, sees a video for a race, on a flat island, with beautiful scenery   signs up for  the what just-so-happens to be a HALF MARATHON.  That's 13.1 miles for any who may not know.  Yep, I did.  I signed up.  You betcha!  So doubt is making me think about a refund.

  I certainly felt like a failure today.  So much so that I told the guy next to me what I should have done, then forced him to look at the 4.6 on the treadmill (it was mocking me).  Once I got done and stretched, then read a comment in reply to my FB post about my failure, I thought "She's right (she being my friend Rebecca) treadmills ARE boring!!!"  The more I thought about it the excuses reasons started coming...ready?
#1 I was overheating
#2 I should have worn shorts
#3 It must be really close to my "time"
#4 Maybe it wasn't God's will for me (this should be #1 i know)
These are all I can think of right now, but if you think of some, please help me out and post them in my comment box.

  The more I thought about it, I realized some runs are just tougher than others, I am not going to be a track star every time.  It is good to fall down.  It builds character.

Thank you for reading
if you can relate, please leave me a comment :)

2 comments:

  1. I love it when I read something that I totally could have written...if I could write. :) I'm glad you finally realized that some days are just tougher...in running and in real life. :) I am SURE that you will do AMAZING on your half marathon! Which one are you doing? Just keep up the training & take it one step at a time! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retha, thank you so much for your inspiration! I am glad I faced that some days ARE just tougher, why are we so hard on ourselves, especially as women??

    ReplyDelete