Sunday, June 10, 2012

Tabu shoes, a fun story, and a scary story

  So as you all know by now, I am training for a half marathon.  As training progresses, I am learning new things about my body and the sport.  One of which is something I have had to prohibit myself from doing.  I have all these cute high heels that I got for the cruise our family went on in April.  One day I wore these wedges, and I kept tripping.  My husband looked at me and said "you know you really shouldn't be wearing those as you can hurt yourself then you won't be able to run."  I thought to myself "he's right".  Now I try as hard as I can to be a Proverbs 31 woman, but deep inside the majority of the time, I do not say to myself that my husband is right.  But the one time I do...I have to prove it?  It was the last trist of that particular day.  I was headed out of Fitright NW and my ankle turned underneath me.  I didn't fall down, but my ankle was hurting.  I went through a flux of emotion, first being "I hope my husband didn't see that", the second "If I just ignore it..." the third, "Okay I am so glad I have two rest days before my next run, maybe it will heal."  I am here to tell you that the third thought worked out to be true.  You know what they say, third time's a charm!  All that to say that I learned my lesson the not so hard way and until my half marathon is over, heels of any kind are tabu!  It's kind of like taking piano lessons and never being able to have fancy long nails!

  Yesterday my sister came out for a visit and we left the kids with our husbands and went to the gym, she is doing Couch to 5K, and I couldn't be more thrilled! (we talk running now).  We walked in the door to my fitness center and I asked if I could have a guest.  The guy said to my sister "Sure! Have you ever been here before?"  She told him she had and he said "okay that'll be $7"  Well long story short the "principle of the thing" came into play and we were not going to give them $7 for a 30 minute ride on their treadmill.  So we went to a different gym to do that.  We talked about just running outside, but we both had to pee real bad, and I needed to run the whole time, and I wanted us to be together, so we went to the other gym, and when we got there, it was unmanned.  Just as we were trying to figure out what to do next, my sister pulled on the door and it opened!  We went in there and had our treadmill time.  No one ever showed up, so we left some money at the desk with a note and my phone number.  No call (that's probably a good thing) but we sure did have a blast and a good story to tell.  However I am not looking forward to the next time I have to show my face in my own gym again...

  Now for today's run.  I was about a mile and 2 tenths in and this car going the opposite way passed me.  Now I didn't realize it, but apparently I listen for when the cars get out of ear shot, well this one was not only getting out of ear shot, it was in reverse whizzing back toward me.  Oh man!  I was trying not to freak out and trying desperately to recall the safety instructions I had received yesterday from the podcast "run cast" about runner safety.  Well I didn't have a whistle I could blow (I have a whistle too and I didn't bring it!)  I started running faster trying to remember if there was a house I could run toward after the bend in the road, my run began to resemble something out of Friday the thirteenth, you would have thought Jason himself was after me.  Huffing, and looking back, then forward, then back.  The reverse action stopped, but the people or person was not going their merry way, they were stopped.  I was scared.  I pulled my phone out of my arm band and was getting ready to make a phone call, then they left.  Hind sight I see two things. One, they were more than likely some people lost in the country who wanted to ask me directions (which I would not have given) and I can only imagine the conversation going on in the car, "just go, can't you see she's scared"  "maybe if I just tell her we wanted directions..."  I don't know, but the second hind sight is that the next time I run when there is no one home to check in with, I need to notify my neighbor that I am going, and supply her with my route, and SHE will be who I would call. 

  I got up to my half way point then eventually turned around.  It took me about a mile to calm down and get over that little incident.  After my half way point I began to think about the goo I had in my zipper compartment of my water bag.  I thought..."you know, if I were going to try that stuff, now would be as good a time as any".  It left an impression enough to write about it in this blog segment.  I did not say a good impression either!  That stuff was half way to nasty!  I would have to be really suffering tiredness to EVER drink that again.  Oh man, I was gagging out loud, good thing there was no one around to hear me.  There are other things runners do when others aren't around to hear us that I won't mention either ;).  So I will be sticking to hard candy, and fruit snacks to fuel my 13.1.   And to top off the run, there were two banana peels...just like in the cartoons.  




  1. Have you tried Clif Shot Blocs? They are basically the same type of energy but are more like gummie candy vs. flavored snot. I tried the goo ONCE and I would not recommend it to was gross. Keep up the training...and the blogging! It's fun to hear about your experiences. :) Retha

  2. Oh Retha! Flavored snot is the PERFECT way to describe that stuff! I will be on the look out for the chews. Thank you for the encouragement, and telling me I am interesting, love you :)